Dr. Scott was born in 1866 on a farm in Ontario, where he grew up. In 1892, he went to the University of Toronto, graduating in 1896 with his Bachelor of Arts degree. He then entered Knox College, where he studied theology, and became an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in 1899.
While working as a missionary, he realized the pioneers needed medical as well as spiritual help, so he decided to study medicine to assist him in his work.
In 1908, he succeeded the Reverend Arthur as missionary at the Geneva Mission on the shore of Wakaw Lake. This included the Anna Turnbull Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Scott obtained his medical degree in 1910. Later the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred on him for his work as a missionary.
During the 1918 influenza epidemic, he worked tirelessly tending to the sick and grieving. He travelled miles by buggy or sleigh in all kinds of weather, often receiving only "spiritual compensation" for his dedicated work.
Dr. Scott was in charge of church services at the mission, and later at the Presbyterian Church in Wakaw (which became the United Church in 1925). He loved to play the pump organ and sing. Sunday evening, there was always a "sing-song" of favorite hymns by staff and friends at the hospital. The church and hospital were his chief interests, but he took time from his busy schedule to help organize and join in educational, health, religious, agricultural, political and sports organizations. He was honoured by life time memberships in many of them. His imprint on the community of Wakaw will always remain.
The grave of Dr. R.G. Scott can be seen in the Wakaw Town Cemetery. The cemetery is located on Highway #312, approximately one kilometre east of Highway #2, just north of the crossroads of Highways #41 and #2.